Monday, June 29, 2015

Sunday Runday Scotia Bank Half Marathon

Yesterday was an early day for us. Katie and Darcy and I were running the Scotia Bank Half Marathon in Vancouver. The race started at 7:30am so we were up at the crack of dawn to get ready and head out to UBC for the start line.


It was supposed to be a scorcher weather wise in Vancouver so much so that the announcers at the start corals were stating not to try for a PB just try for a finish as they didn't want people to end up with heat stroke or worse. At 730am the start time it was already getting pretty warm so I decided to just do the run as I could.

Quite a bit at the beginning was downhill and it felt pretty good until some of the slight uphills started. It wasn't as much that it was steep uphills but mostly the slight incline which seemed to last forever. Between 930 and 1000am it started getting really hot out by then we were starting to run in neighboorhoods. I was grateful to all of the people who knew the race was going on and had their sprinklers aimed at or in the street for us runners to run though. Nothing beats some cold water hitting you when you feel like your skin is on fire. Luckily we had put on water proof sunscreen so we managed to do the Half Marathon without getting supremely sun burnt.

In the heat it felt like the end was never going to come. All I dreamed about that last couple of miles was sitting in the shade and never moving again. It was hot out and I was tired as I had been up since 2:45am (cuz it wasn't warm enough during the night I had to have a hot flash on top of it.). The last mile I ran quite a bit as it hurt less to run than it did to walk at all. I was happy with my time though 3:12 which is better than not finishing at all. I think I will aim to beat the 3 hour mark for the next half in October which is the Rock N Roll Half Marathon. 


I would have posted yesterday but by the time we got home I just napped on and off for the rest of the day and was in bed at 7pm for the night. I am surprised that today I don't feel to bad and my muscles aren't hurting like they were yesterday.  Glad to have gotten it done and lived to tell. 

Have you ever done a half marathon in crazy heat? Did it affect your time?