Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Realizing Some Hard Truths

Normally I try to keep things upbeat on here but by the end of my day today I have no upbeat left. Not that I think anybody really reads what I have to say but I'M TIRED.

I'm tired of being typecast into a position where I am just spinning my wheels. Which is exactly what I have been doing for the last two years. I am no closer to becoming a nurse than I was two years ago. And I have finally come to the realization that unless I win the lottery it isn't going to happen.

I'm tired of thinking I might actually even get a position in a hospital. I graduated in the top 10 percent of my MOA class and am a hard worker who doesn't have a spotted employment history but that doesn't seem to matter. I have been applying to pretty much every position at all the differing health authorities in the lower mainland but to no avail. Heck, I can't even get an interview. Why?

It all comes down to being typecast because before I got my MOA certificate I was in the call center industry for years. And where am I now with my fancy certificate. I am now in a specialized call center. Don't get me wrong I do appreciate the job I have but I feel like I am going nowhere considering I can't even get a permanent position where I am . Two years of working hard and I really have nothing to show for it. No benefits, no paid vacation and having to be on call every day of my life.

Also, since I don't have a permanent position I don't have any set days off so that I could even further my education with a course or two because I don't want to pay for a course and end up having to withdraw or get an incomplete because I had to miss class because I got called into work.

After all the hard work over the last couple of years I just wish that things would come a little easier. Oh well I guess it is good to dream right?

I think over the next few days I am going to do some re-evaluating of my goals and maybe make them more realistic.