Sunday, March 4, 2012

Goals

Yesterday I received an email from my brother about goals and how to go about achieving them. In this email he said the goals should be specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and should have a time line. In other words my goals should be S.M.A.R.T. I completely agree with his idea although with some goals they can be hard to set out with these qualities in mind.

SPECIFIC-Some goals are very long term goals like wanting to become an RN. This goal is at least a 10 year goal for me as I need to get my pre-requisites done and at this point with being casual at work I am unable to set a certain time frame or even go and take some of these courses I need because I never know the shift that I am going to work. Once I get a full time or even permanent part time at my job I will be in a better position to get my pre-requisites and do some of the schooling I need part time, which makes this my 10 year goal. At this point I am just biding my time til I am in a position to start schieving this.

MEASURABLE-I think with each step that I take in my life is measurable I am either on the right path or not. Yes, my goal of being an RN is hard to measure at this point but I do know I am on the right path because I now at least have my foot in the door in the medical field. As for other goals I have as long as I see some progress I am pretty happy with how I am coming along with them. Like cutting back on my caffeine intake, I am now drinking less than 1L of pop per day and drinking at lest 24 ounces of water every day. See progress.

ATTAINABLE- I know it will be difficult over the next many years to become an RN, and getting health and staying healthy but I do know that all of my goals are going to be attainable at some point it is just waiting for the right moments and opportunities to make that happen.

RELEVENT- Any goal that you have set for yourself that is attainable if it is something that you want to do then it is automatically relevent because it is relevent to you.

TIME- I agree that setting a timeline is a valuable piece of the puzzle when setting goals. Upon setting these timelines though you do need a certain amount of flexibility because sometimes life happens and it will take a bit longer so you may need to make ajustments from time to time regarding your timeline.

I feel that change comes from within and for the most part as long as you feel that you are heading in the direction that will take you to where you want to be in life then you are changing for the better, which is way better than stagnating or even worse going backwards). If you falter with your goals don't beat yourself up about them, accept and acknowledge the falter and move on. And remember some goals are way easier than others I would love to quit smoking and try all the time maybe I will try his personal suggestion of setting a limit of smokes to smoke per day and work myself down from there and in fact I think I will start doing that as of today so for today since I usually smoke a pack a day I am going to aim to only smoke 19 as he stated one less is one less.

Thank you Ian for your insight sometimes having someone says something in a different way gives you a little more insight into how you are trying to reach your goals.

What are your thoughts on goals and how to achieve them?