Thursday, December 1, 2011

Your Career Path: Fulfilling Or Soul Stealing

Lately I have been seeing alot of differences of certain careers. There seem to be some careers that are fulfilling and at the end of the day you get to just walk away and not take it with you. Then there are the soul stealing careers. These are careers where if and when you succeed in it takes over your life. Your employer keeps expecting more and taking more. The higher you set the bar your employer will then go and set the bar even higher. It encompasses your life and eventually you will become resentful and angry. You put in great numbers of hours with almost nothing in return and yet your employer will still expect more. The money in some of these types of careers might seem good on the surface but when you take into account all of the extra hours and stress in your life, you will find that you are almost making less than a child in some sweat shop in some foreign country per hour. It is sad that there are employers out there that still do this to their employees.
Looking at all of this I am very happy to be on the career path that is fulfilling. I go to work put in my shift and then I get to just leave it at the end of the day. I go home feeling good about the effort I put in and the money is pretty decent to. Unfortunately, things are not like that for the careers of everyone who matters in my life. When you see someone in your life that is in a soul stealing career the only thing I can suggest doing is be suppportive of the idea of switching careers so that they can go back to having a life and not having their soul completely stolen from them.

Which type of career do you have?