Saturday, August 27, 2011

Running From Scratch

When I woke up this morning I felt wonderful and full of energy. After doing a bit of cleaning around the house (dusting and such) I finally worked up the ambition to do it.

Considering it was so beautiful and warm outside I went for a run. I have been thinking about doing this for a long time and everytime a see someone running on the street or on t.v. I feel pangs of envy and wishing I was out there doing that to. So I gathered Tia up on her leash and out the door we went. Initially I was only going to do 2 min walking and 1 min running to start with but that only lasted one round. It felt so great to be back out there again that I ended up doing 1 min running and 1 min walking 9 times.

Now I know that doesn't seem like much but when you are trying to train from scratch again it means a whole lot. I was surprised that my legs didn't even hurt especially my shins which usually start to hurt around the 5 min mark but not this time. I never even really got winded which was great. By the time we got home Tia was done after slurping up an entire bowl of water she has laid down and is refusing to get up, although she will still wag her tail because she is a tired but happy dog.

So I am intent on keeping this up and look forward to going out and doing this again on Monday (regardless of what hours I may be called in to work). If the timing isn't right I will use the treadmill at work on my break. I really want to get to my goal of running a marathon by the time I am 35 and they say every journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. I am so happy that I am finally on my way.

What have you done lately to reach for a goal that you have?